Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I have a house in CA, currently it is rented. Same renter

Customer Question

i have a house in CA, currently it is rented. Same renter for 3 years. Recently I renewed his lease for one year. Due to changes in my life I have found that I need to sell the home. Can I sell my home with them having a contract for one more year.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Filed such as?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't believe so.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can I sell my home with them having a contract for one more year.

.

Sure, there is nothing that prevents you from selling the house with a tenant in it. The new owner would just take the property subject to the existing lease and basically "step into your shoes" as a landlord.

.

But you can't terminate the lease just because you have decided to sell as the tenant has a legal right to possession of the property until the lease expires. You could only terminate if there was an uncured lease violation or you convinced the tenant to move out voluntarily.

.

.

thanks