Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I would like to know whether a management company employed

Customer Question

I would like to know whether a management company employed by a Condominium Association can charge a flat rate percentage for credit card payments (3%) or charge $ 35.00 for any payments not accompanied by a coupon?
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: I forgot, I am in Pennsylvania
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Just a letter sent to the unit owners
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only that there is nothing that I can find in the bylaws or declaration that authorizes these fees.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
They can charge a surcharge to credit card payments, but not debit cards. They can charge generally up to 4%. So, yes, they can charge the fees for using credit card, especially since they have to pay a fee for processing. As far as not sending payment with coupon, they can charge a service fee for processing without the coupon, that is up to the board to impose fees unless strictly prohibited in the bylaws.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.