Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

Gave a 30 day notice on nov. 3 when I paid my rent for nov,

Customer Question

gave a 30 day notice on nov. 3 when I paid my rent for nov, to move out on the first of Dec. The apartment Manager said that since I moved in on the 12th of Dec. last year. I will have to pay $ 200.00 for moving out 12 days early.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in? When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: California
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: no just word of mouth
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

By the way, as a member, you can switch to a phone call (for free) to talk through the issue. Let me know if you would like to talk on phone or continue online. If you want to speak on the phone, just provide a number where you may be reached.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Just to clarify, did you move out early, or late?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
have not moved yet. Plan to move on Dec.1, 2016. have a yearly lease that is up on Dec. 12th, 2015.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry Dec. 2016
Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

If you have a written fixed term lease then you owe rent until the end of the term even if you move out early, unless the landlord agrees to terminate the lease early (in writing).

So, you do owe rent until 12/12 if that is the expiration date.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Thank you!