Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

I manage a professional condominium association in NY state.

Customer Question

I manage a professional condominium association in NY state. One of the unit owner's water heaters broke (it was old and should have been replaced) and his basement was flooded. A tiny bit of water leaked into two of the adjoining offices. The unit owner's insurance company is claiming that it is the condo association's responsibility to pay for the damage done when the water heater broke. Is this accurate.
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 27 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

If the water heater is supposed to be maintained by the Condo association via bylaws, then the condo association is liable for the damage the water created from the leak.

Otherwise, the owner of the condo where the water heater broke is liable for the damage.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 25 days ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!