Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

If a tenant sublease a rental without owner consent is this

Customer Question

If a tenant sublease a rental without owner consent is this trepassing
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Washington state
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: For subleasing?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No notice was given to landlord
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question. I may need to clarify facts first. I will answer & we can discuss issues.

Technically it would be a trespass. However, it is not a simple situation where landlord could evict solely the subtenant. If the landlord really wants the subtenant gone, the landlord would have to terminate the tenants right to sublet the property or to evict the tenant for breach of the lease. This means, the landlord would have to evict the tenant to get rid of the subtenant. We can discuss more if you would like to do so.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There was no agreement to sublease and it is not in rental lease

Since there is no agreement to sublease, the tenant is in violation of the lease and the landlord can commence an eviction proceeding to evict all occupants.

Hello again! Checking in to see if you need further help. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer a related follow-up question you may have. If I have not answered your question completely or missed a question, please let me know and I will attempt to answer it. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars for the service I provided to you. Best regards.