Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

My wife inherited a piece of land in Fairfield Bay Arkansas.

Customer Question

My wife inherited a piece of land in Fairfield Bay Arkansas. This land is not buildable and probably not saleable. We continue to pay the property owners association fee. We would like to dispose of this property in order to stop paying this fee. We would be willing to give the property away or donate it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

When you say it is not buildable, is that your opinion or is that something that is coming from the city or county officials?

.

Are there any neighbors that adjoin your land that might want it?

.

Have you talked to any local charities like churches or the Salvation Army to see if they would accept it so you could get a tax write off?

.

Have you approached the Association to see if they would accept it as a gift?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Your response gave us some valid questions that we will look into.

If it were me, I would first talk to a local realtor and sic them on doing some investigating to see if there was any interest in someone buying it. That is what they do for a living and you can get them to spend their time on this with the dangling carrot of a commision.

.

Then I would check with charities so I could at least get a tax write off for a charitable contribution.

.

And lastly, i would look into simply gifting it to someone...neighbor, Association, advertise it on Craigslist... there is always someone who is willing to take a parcel of land for free..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a licensed Realtor for over 14 years...

.

.

thanks