Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

To the licensed attorney, Barrister, no the crack is very

Customer Question

To the licensed attorney, Barrister, no the crack is very large and opening wider with each month because the 40 story condo is settling and could very well start falling, on me while sleeping in my bed underneath it or who knows come down in pieces, a professional in that area of repair could only tell what could happen. And as I said I am 67 and my mom is 90 so we are concerned and feel taken advantage of.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: 5455 N. SHERIDAN RD. APT 1504 CHICAGO, IL 60640
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: NO
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: THE OWNER WANTS US TO PAY FOR IT. I FEEL IT IS HIS PROPERTY AND WE PAY OUR RENT MONTHLY WITHOUT FAIL. I FEEL IT IS HIS RESPONSIBILITY.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.

Ok, at this point, your best and fastest recourse is to contact the local Code Enforcement or Housing Inspector's office and ask them to come out and inspect the property. This could be a serious structural issue that makes the entire dwelling dangerous to live in because it could give way at any time.

.

The inspector can cite the owner for any violations due to his failure to make repairs so it is structurally safe and secure and force him to repair it or face daily fines after a deadline date.

.

.

thanks