Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

MY MOTHER AND I HAVE LIVED IN A CONDO RENTED FOR 19 YEARS, I

Customer Question

MY MOTHER AND I HAVE LIVED IN A CONDO RENTED FOR 19 YEARS, I AM 67 AND SHE IS 90, OUR LANDLORD AND WE HAVE NO LEASE PER SE BUT A BIG CRACK DEVELOPED IN THE BEDROOM WALL OVER MY BED, HE CAME OUT TO SEE IT 2 YEARS AGO AND LOOKED AND EVEN THOUGH IT IS HIS PROPERTY DOES NOT FIX IT BUT TELLS US TO HAVE IT DONE OUT OF OUR OWN MONEY. SHORT OF LEAVING THE PROPERTY WHAT ARE OUR OPTIONS TO HAVE HIM PAY FOR THE REPAIR TO HIS PROPERTY. THE BUILDING SETTLES BECAUSE IT IS 40 STORIES ON THE LAKE BUT SINCE WE DO NOT OWN I DO FEEL IT IS OUR RESPONSIBILITY BUT I DON'T WANT THE PLASTER FALLING ON ME WHILE IN MY BED BECAUSE IT IS OVER MY BED AND HAS GOTTEN WIDER OVER THE 2 YEARS SINCE HE VIEWED IT. CHERYL NYQUIST
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: NO
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING AT THE MOMENT, OTHER THAN WE HAD THE CARPET CLEANED LATELY AND IT IS 20 YEARS OLD, THE CARPET CLEANER SAID IT WAS SURPRISING TO HIM THAT THE LANDLORD HAD NOT GIVEN US AN UPDATED CARPET.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 22 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Expert:  Barrister replied 22 days ago.

Does the crack make the property uninhabitable or is it just something that is unpleasant to look at?

.

Is plaster falling down from the ceiling onto your personal property or furniture?

.

.

thanks