Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

My tennant cheated me by not paying the security depsoit and

Customer Question

My tennant cheated me by not paying the security depsoit and the first months rent. I was stupid enough to give him the keys listening to his sob story and looking at hos kids. He has been living in my house rent free for 2 weeks now. I have told him that i will evict him if he does not leave or pay up by today. He is a compulsive liar and is giving me the identity stolen, funds frozen story. I checked his public records and he has been evicted numerous times within the last year and owed a lot of money. I know i was stupid and naive to not thoroughly vet him.
I want to file for an eviction first thing tomorrow. My question is that do i have to use the eviction process if i did not sign the lease as the landlord because i did not receive any deposit? Isnt it trespassing of he is staying in my house without a binding lease?
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 24 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

I hate to hear that you have been taken by this crook..

.

Unfortunately, he is your tenant and you are his landlord, signed lease or not. Without a lease, he is month to month under an oral tenancy agreement. If he is late on rent, you need to start by giving him a written 14 day notice to pay or vacate. Then you can file to evict him through the courts.

.

And it is likely that this scammer will try to get you to accept a partial payment of a little bit of money because he knows that would void out the 14 day and force you to start over. So don't accept anything less than the full amount due.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks