RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I was living in a house that got sold, I was told verbally

Customer Question

I was living in a house that got sold, I was told verbally by the real estate agent that could stay in the home unti I found a place, the rent would be $3000.00 a month. Unknown to me I was charged $200.00 per day. Can I do anything about this?
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 21 days ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Was anything provided to you in writing, that you signed, advising of this/ I assume you rented month to month? Also, what State is this in?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
No, I found out after the fact, this is inCA
Thank you for the reply. Based upon what you shared above the actions would not be legal. Even though the home was sold, you still have rights as a month to month tenant and if they wanted to raise the rent they need to provide you with the proper notice. Same goes for their desire if they wanted you to vacate. If you have a month-to-month (or shorter) periodic rental agreement, the landlord must give you at least 30 days' advance written notice of a rent increase.
The landlord must give you at least 30 days' advance notice if the rent increase is 10 percent (or less) of the rent charged at any time during the 12 months before the rent increase takes effect.
The landlord must give you at least 60 days' advance notice if the rent increase is greater than 10 percent of the rent charged at any time during the 12 months before the rent increase takes effect. 2
The amount of notice required depends on the percentage of the rent increase. In order to calculate the percentage of the rent increase, you need to know the lowest rent that your landlord charged you during the preceding 12 months, and the total of the new increase and all other increases during that period.