Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

I live in Stanislaus county calif. in a non conforming home.

Customer Question

I live in Stanislaus county calif. in a non conforming home. can I remodel it or add on. it has been on the lot for over 40 years
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: califofrnia..Modesto, California. Unincorporated Stanislaus county
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: no it has not
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: this is a r-2 lot with a separate duplex
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 23 days ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question. I may need to clarify facts first. I will answer & we can discuss issues.

I do not see any exception for a property in an unincorporated county not requiring a building permit. There seems to be no exception for remodeling or adding on in an incorporated part of the county. Plus it is better to be safe than sorry. You can apply for one here:

http://www.stancounty.com/planning/bp/

If by chance they say you do not need one, then you can feel comfortable doing the work without worrying that you need one. We can discuss more if you want to do so.

Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 19 days ago.

Hello again! Checking in to see if you need further help. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer a related follow-up question you may have. If I have not answered your question completely or missed a question, please let me know and I will attempt to answer it. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars for the service I provided to you. Best regards.