Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in RE Law, including LL/Tenant, contractor disputes, comm'l prop. issues
20355756

I live in Hawaii. Sold home about 6 month ago and buyer is

Customer Question

I live in Hawaii. Sold home about 6 month ago and buyer is demanding repair costs on structural damage(incorrect installation of a wooden beam) they found when the wall was opened to repair something. I've disclosed on "Sellers Disclosure Statement" truthfully.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: State of Hawaii
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet. They are demanding to pay the repair costs.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is about it.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
The buyer is also stating that the sales contract is void and has the right to reverse the sales.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
As to the structural defects, I did not know it was existed because it was hidden.
Expert:  Legalease replied 25 days ago.

Hello there --

-

Did the buyer have a home inspection before purchasing the house?

-

MARY

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
they hired a professional home inspector.
Expert:  Legalease replied 25 days ago.

Hello again --

-

Your payment for the telephone call failed (it is an additional $59). If you still want the call you can contact customer service or me at marymeaden at comcast.net. I would be happy to discuss. Otherwise, then the problem is with their own home inspector and not with you. They had the opportunity to thoroughly inspect and the inspector did not alert them to any significant issues so that they can back out of the transaction. You were under no obligation to find hidden defects and if you were not aware of it and had no knowledge of it, then the new owners have no grounds to try to sue you or back out of the sale. MARY