Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

Your Question:edit text I live in a condominium. I rent a

Customer Question

Your Question:edit text
Hi I live in a condominium. I rent a 4bed 3 bath townhouse and I rented one room in Airbnb not knowing this was not allowed by the association. They sent me a letter telling me I had 7 days to correct the issue and I did. Now the association doesn't let the owner to renew my lease contract. What can I do? I still don't want to leave besides I don't rent the room anymore.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question. I may need to clarify facts first. I will answer & we can discuss issues.

Hmm...it is a tough situation. I presume you have a written lease. Does it have automatic renewal? Also, what does the owner have to say about it? Does the owner still want to rent to you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The owner has a company that manage the rental and they do whatever the association decides. They don't mind renewing the leAse. I'm also in the process of buying a property my lease ends 1/4/17 and I won't be ready by then. I even was thinking on buying a townhouse in this condominium and don't think is fair they decided not to renew when I already corrected the violation.

Hi Karina: The lease contract is between you and the owner of the unit. The unit owner does not have to renew a lease unless there was already an agreement to do so. If the unit owner wants to lease it to you, the unit owner should make the argument to the association based on the rules of the association. Possibly you can have the owner talk to the association; or explain to the association your intent to buy the townhouse. I know this is not quite want you want to hear but it is better to know your standing than not know it. We can continue to discuss if you want to do so.

Hello Karina: Just following up. I know my answer was not exactly what you wanted to hear. But is it better to know what is expected in this situation. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars for the service I provided to you. If you have a follow up question, just let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you think I should hire an attorney for this? A real state attorney?

Hi Karina: It is always good to have a consultation with a local attorney in the area. The attorney can also help contact management to attempt to work this out and take further legal action if necessary.