Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

I bought an house with someone on land contract a year ago

Customer Question

I bought an house with someone on land contract a year ago the person who I bought the house with has left the home and took all utilities out of his name and has been gone for 6 weeks and is refusing to take his name off the contract unless he gets half the down payment paid to him I don't have the money what can I do.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 28 days ago.

Good Morning and thanks for using JUST ANSWER. I'm sorry to see that you are having this problem. It does not have a good solution. You can't take his name off of the contract without his consent. You could stop making payments and force the owner to cancel the contract, and then buy it back yourself, provided that the owner goes along. If you have a lot of equity you can sue for partition and a court will order the property sold. At least that would get you your half interest. Other than that, you have to make some kind of deal with the other party to get him to sign over his interest to you. Perhaps fin another co-buyer to buy him out.

I hope that this ANSWER is helpful and if you have no further questions that you will now enter a FIVE STAR RATING.

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 27 days ago.

Hello again. I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.