Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

Can I get. Out f my contract to sell my home our job in

Customer Question

Can I get. Out f my contract to sell my home our job in another state fell through its been a week a had since sale
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

From a purely legal perspective, if you signed a sales contract agreeing to sell to someone for a set amount, then that is a legally binding contract that the buyer could sue to enforce in court if you breached it.

.

However, that could take a year til it got to court and thousands of dollars in legal fees. So in most situations, if the seller backs out, the buyer will just get their deposit back and may sue for any expenses they have incurred like appraisals, inspections, etc. and will then just walk away.

.

So if you are going to breach, I would suggest you offer to pay their incurred expenses to encourage them not to sue you.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a licensed Realtor for over 14 years...

.

.

thanks