Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I am being taken to court due to a non-compliance with

Customer Question

I am being taken to court due to a non-compliance with giving 60 days notice to vacate my apartment in Virginia Beach, VA. I was terminated unexpectedly by my employer and gave two weeks notice to not renew my lease. That was the only notice I could give due to the termination of my employment. My one year lease was up so I could not give the 60 days they required. Do I have a chance to beat this in court and do I need a lawyer to represent me?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Virginia
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Yes, I received a court summons to appear on the 15th of December.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I live in Richmond, VA and took an apartment in Virginia Beach for the 1 year contract with my employer. I was scheduled to get a 6 month extension but the company I was working for put a hiring freeze on unexpectedly.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question. I may need to clarify facts first. I will answer & we can discuss issues.

It is very unusual for a landlord to bring an action in court for breaking the lease. Usually, the landlord would keep the security deposit and re-rent it. How many months were left on your one year lease?