Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

Do you answer questions regarding tenents rights? San

Customer Question

Do you answer questions regarding tenents rights?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: San Bernardino, California
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, the property being rented is in probate and the tenent is being told to keep there rent money and vacate in 2 weeks even though they signed a one year least and have only been in the house for about 4 months.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

The tenant need not worry. The death of the landlord does not terminate the lease. Rather, the estate and its heirs simply take the property subject to the existing lease. The tenant should simply stay put and call the police if the estate administrator or heirs make any effort to forcibly evict the tenant. As long as the tenant is in compliance with the terms of the lease, the tenant has every legal right to remain in tenancy until the expiration of the term of the lease. If the owners want the tenant out earlier than that, the owners are going to need to pay the tenant enough to cause the tenant to agree to leave early.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!