Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

My roommate moved out early October and I was unable to

Customer Question

hello, my roommate moved out early October and I was unable to provide rent for the month. So, now I am being evicted, with court coming up next week. This past Monday, I was victim to a random gunshot that went through my window. Is there any legal action I could take to keep my eviction from going through?
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 25 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Is there any legal action I could take to keep my eviction from going through?

.

If the basis is not paying the rent, then the only ways to stop any court judgment for eviction other than paying the rent would be to file bankruptcy as that puts an automatic stay on any creditor actions (including evictions). That would buy you a couple months until the landlord could get the stay lifted and continue on with an eviction.

.

But the gunshot incident wouldn't have any legal effect on the eviction.

.

.

thanks