Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I have A 2 unit house in Zion that my 54 yr old son and I

Customer Question

I have A 2 unit house in Zion that my 54 yr old son and I live in.It is zoned 2unit but just my son and I live here. My son is disabled due to diabetes and other health problems. The city of Zion say he is considered A tenant. I have his name on my dead as a Trustee. Does this qualify him as part owner? He will become full owner at my death. I am 74 yrs. old
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: yes in 1995, but was changed in 2009 so I could get senior tax rate on the house.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 27 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney whowill try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone whocan. There may be a slight delay in myresponses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If son is the trustee, then a trust owns the property, not him personally. So if he is living there, he would legally be a tenant.

.

If you want him to become an owner, you would need to add him to the actual deed along with you are an owner.

.

You would have a new deed prepared from you as grantor over to you and him as the grantees. Then you sign, date and have notarized and that completes the transfer. Then you record the deed to make it a public record. Any local title or closing company can help with getting a new deed drawn up, executed and recorded for you.

.

.

thanks