Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I hired a painter in East Lansing, MI to complete some work

Customer Question

I hired a painter in East Lansing, MI to complete some work in Sylvania, Ohio. The work was not completed in a satisfactory manner. I want to seek repayment, in Small Claims Court, for the cost to hire someone to finish the job. We both live in the East Lansing, Mi area
1. There was no written contract, but an oral agreement made in East Lansing, M .
2. The work was done in Sylvania, Ohio - 130 miles away.
3. Can I file in a court in East Lansing,MI
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can I file in a court in East Lansing,MI

.

Yes, the location of the work isn't what is relevant, it is where the defendant is located. You have to sue him where he is so you can get personal jurisdiction over him and force him to come to court.

.

So you have to sue him in E. Lansing.

.

.

thanks