Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I inherited a house from my uncle approximately 5 years ago.

Customer Question

I inherited a house from my uncle approximately 5 years ago. I have been paying the mortgage on the property. His estate has been settled and did not include the house. The Mortgage company still has the house listed as "the estate of". The house was deeded to me prior to his passing and as such was not included in the estate. How do I get the the documents change to me as the property owner.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If the house was deeded over, you are already the legal owner. But that doesn't have anything to do with the mortgage. You can't transfer the mortgage into your name unless it is "assumable" and you apply with and are approved by the bank to formally take it over.

.

The only way to get a loan in your name otherwise is to take out your own mortgage and pay off the existing one.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided as that is the only way I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

Thanks much