Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

We are closing on a new home. We had a charge-off on a

Customer Question

We are closing on a new home. We had a charge-off on a second mortgage over six years ago. New mortgage come has agreed to give us FHA loan. Can the bank put a lien on our new property even though it was a chargeoff. Title company is allowing us to sign docs and close.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Las Vegas, Nevada
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: with the Lenders, yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

No, the lender cannot put a lien on your new property. Pursuant to Nev. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 11.010 et. seq., the statute of limitations for a promissory loan is 3 years. Since it's been over 6 years, you have an absolute defense to any claim by the lender and if the lender is past the statute of limitations, the lender would not get a judgment against you and thus would not be able to place a lien on your property.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!