Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

The association ask for a copy of lease sign with the renter

Customer Question

The association ask for a copy of lease sign with the renter even if the have a form with all the information concerning the tenant.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 28 days ago.
Good morning. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I look forward to answering your question.
Is this requirement in the by laws? Do they require all leases to be on file with the association?
Expert:  Loren replied 28 days ago.
Florida condo/homeowner associations have the right to reasonably regulate and monitor non-owner occupancy. They do have the legal right to require written leases and to be provided a copy for rheir file.
It crosses the line if the association enforces these rules in a discriminatory manner or to exclude minorities from the property. Otherwise, it is not, illegal, in and of itself, for the Association to require a copy of the lease.
Expert:  Loren replied 28 days ago.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.