Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

I'm six months in to an 18 month lease and my landlord

Customer Question

Hi, I'm six months in to an 18 month lease and my landlord decided to put the house up for sale. We cooperated for awhile, but we're getting weary of jumping through hoops every time the realtor wants to show the house. The landlord wants way too much for the property and its beginning to look like we may have to deal with this for the remaining 18 months of our lease. We are paying $40,000 a year to lease this property and feel like we've been duped. Do we have any recourse? Can we push back in any way? We are in California. Thank you!
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 26 days ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question. I may need to clarify facts first. I will answer & we can discuss issues.

So, is your only complaint that the landlord wants to show the house that you rent and it is a continuous inconvenience? Or are there other complaints you have?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
That's correct -- it's a huge inconvenience for my family. We have been offered no help or compensation from the landlord for our trouble and have spent hours cleaning and getting the house "show-ready" when the realtor wants to show the property.

A tenant has a right to notice of the showing of it and at reasonable times and amount of times. Generally, a landlord has a right to show the abode through an agent, but it would have to be reasonable. If this is an on-going situation and inconvenience, it is best to set down when you will allow this to occur. In other words, determine when this can happen (once a week for 1 hour on a Saturday for example). If you refuse entry altogether, that could lead to further problems. Also, you can negotiate terms: You can demand that the landlord pay you to clean the property in advance of a particular showing, or in advance of an open house, or to let you have a professional cleaning service provide the cleaning and the landlord pay for it.

We can continue to discuss if you would like to do so.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Thank you. What is my recourse if the landlord refuses to accommodate?

You are welcome. If the landlord refuses to cooperative, or attempts to access the abode without your consent, then you would have to seek judicial intervention (file a complaint). If you refuse to allow entry, then the landlord would have to file a complaint. The Judge would come up with an agreement if the parties do not do so. We can continue to discuss if you would like to do so.

Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 22 days ago.

Hello: I am following up to see if you still need further help. If so, please let me know. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars so you can pay me for the service I provided to you. Best regards.