RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

We are in the process to sell our house, but if the house

Customer Question

good morning, we are in the process to sell our house, but if the house that we are ready to buy doe3snt go thru, how that work with the house that we are selling??
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Maryland
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: can we back out from selling??
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Is there anything in the contract which makes the sale contingent upon you buying the new home?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
just checking now
cant find page on papers

Just let me know. If there is nothing, I can respond when you are ready. I am here to help so please let me know.

Were you able to find anything? If not, would you like me to provide you with an answer based upon what you have shared?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nope, find nothing

Not a problem. Allow me a moment to respond

Unless the purchase of the new home was a contingency of the sale, you would be required to proceed and close, if the new purchase where to not go through. The buyer of your home has nothing to do and is not part of the other purchase, so if you fail to close and keep the home, they could decide to sue you for damages suffered, as a result. Of course, if you need more time, you could come to an agreement with the buyer to extend the closing date but if you are not going to sell, you would be in breach and they could sue you. I know this is not ideal, which is why when the a new home is being purchased and there is concern about it happening, it is always good to add language in the contract for sale, to protect yourself.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!