Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

My mother passed away in 2000. December 2nd. In her will i

Customer Question

My mother passed away in 2000. December 2nd. In her will i have Powere of Attorney. My father bought 2 cryps and 2 plots. They were paid for over the years, My parents are buried at Cypress View Mausaleum. There are 2 burial plots at El Camino I went and tried to get them in my name. To transfer them into my name.,it would cost 175.00 I filled out paper work . The plots had an endowment of 80.00 dollars back in 1996. I am 69 years old, My brother and sister Marian and Tommy want nothing to do with the plots. The man i went to speak to keeps giving me the run around. I have not got the properties in my name yet. He gave me quit claim deeds for my brother and sister to sign. I sent them to them.3 months ago. The power of attorney says i am recipient of all property. El Camino says the paper was from Colorado and this is California where the property must be specified. I am at my wits end I need to get this settled I have all the paper work rwegarding property the will and power of attorney. HELP
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: The will was done in Florence Colorado in 1995. I moved back here to California in 1998 with my mom.
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Like what?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Let me clarify a few things first before I comment...

.

A power of attorney expires upon the grantor's death... So do you mean that you are the "executor" of the will?

.

Have you actually filed a probate case to settle mother's estate and been formally appointed as executor by a judge?

.

And are you saying the will leaves you all the properties? (A POA can't say that someone is a recipient of anything)

.

.

thanks