Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

My landlord is selling the house that we are renting. We are

Customer Question

My landlord is selling the house that we are renting. We are disabled and I was wondering how long he has to give us to move out. The ones that are buying the house wants us out the day the papers are signed. Can they do that?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Arkansas
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just how long they have to give us to move
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If you have a lease for a set term, you're legally allowed to stay until the end of the term. They cannot require you to leave early. You can encourage them to pay you well to break the lease if they want you out, but you don't have to. A tenant cannot be made to stay solely because the property is sold if their lease isn't ending.

For a month-to-month lease, they only need to give you one month's notice to vacate. Since you know they're planning to sell, if you have a month-to-month lease, it could help to start looking for a new place before you get that notice, since you could also give them one month's notice that you're leaving.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Did you have any other questions about this?