Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

My former landlord is suing me for some crazy fee's and

Customer Question

My former landlord is suing me for some crazy fee's and missed rent. I rented a home from them from may 2009 thru March 2016. Original lease was for 1 year. We went month to month for the next 7 years. (I went through periods of unemployment and landlord did work with us, but at the same time I never pushed maintenance issues and fixed all that I could during the tough times. We made several agreements throughout these times and apparently we were never on the same page as far as what was owed. They added all these "late fees" and other charges which I disagreed with. My family lived with Black Mold, Rats, Roaches and rotting windows and floors during the "tough times" We had letters from the County & Homeowners Assoc regarding the rotting windows, fence rotting and falling over, over grown vines (poison ivy). I tried to prop up fence and clear brush/vines and my wife and I ended up with severe poison ivy. (the crew the landlord finally hired got poison ivy as well).
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Georgia, Cobb County
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: yes, landlord filed lawsuit for 11,188 and we answered. Court date is scheduled for 11/14/16
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The landlords boyfriend (came to home after we moved) and told some neighbors that he "could not believe that she let them live in those conditions" "She" being the landlord and "Them" being me and my family.
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 29 days ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

What is the money sought for -- back rent, repairs, or something else?