Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience.
77476456

I have a life estate, my term boyfriend (20 yrs), passed

Customer Question

I have a life estate, my long term boyfriend (20 yrs), passed away he had the home in a life estate, presently i have sole control, the property will pass to his children upon my death - is this an issue regarding ownership? Re: 1946.50, lodger?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

A Life Estate in Real Property is completely different than the concept of a lodger. A Lodger is a person who lives in a single family home either as a guest, or asa person who rents a room.

A person who holds a Life Estate has an ownership interest in the Real Property. It is not complete ownership, rather it is a limited ownership. Essentially you have the right to live in and use the property for the term of your life. Once you pass away the "Remainderman" receives the estate back to him in full ownership - also known as fee simple ownership.

As a Life Tenant you can not be evicted because you are not a lease holder or a tenant, but rather an actual owner.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald