Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

My house is listed with a realtor until the end of December,

Customer Question

My house is listed with a realtor until the end of December, 2016. She has had the listing for almost a year and has had 1 open house and showed it twice. She lives next door. My current tenant moves out Nov 8 and I have found someone who wants to rent to own. If they rent Dec 1 and then buy 6 months later will we owe realtor commission? The realtor never met the prospective tenant/buyer.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney fo rover 30 yrs, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

Was this an exclusive listing agreement?

Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

By the way, as a member, you can switch to a phone call (for free) to talk through the issue. Let me know if you would like to talk on phone or continue online. If you want to speak on the phone, just provide a number where you may be reached.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Phone would be easier(###) ###-####
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

If it is an exclusive listing agreement, and this buyer was not excepted in the agreement, then you owe commission. Unfortunately, that is the nature of an exclusive listing agreement. If it sells in the period of the listing, not matter to whom, a commission is owed.