Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Can the borrower have the employment status of "medical

Customer Question

Can the borrower have the employment status of "medical leave" on the day that a loan originates?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. By the way, as a member, you can switch to a phone call for free to talk through the issue. Let me know if you would like to talk on phone or continue online.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

It is more of a discretionary underwriting issue. If the employer confirms that the borrower is on “temporary leave”, lender must consider the borrower to be “employed” and the loan can be disbursed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Lender says the requirement is from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and not within his discretion. True or false?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

I believe it is an underwriting issue. I would ask the lender to provide the cite for the regulation he is referencing.