Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Can I evict my son's estranged wife from my home even though

Customer Question

Can I evict my son's estranged wife from my home even though we never had a signed agreement? She has brought in someone else to live there, I don't know him. I'd like her out so my son can move back in.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Washington By the way she is not paying the utilities, I've had to pay $762. for water & cable this week and the power bill is $900!
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No, I spoke to a lawyer on the phone and he said the divorce should come first, then the eviction. I can't evict the friend until she leaves according to the lawyer, I bought an eviction packet but it doesn't pertain to us because of no rental agreement.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 month ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If you own the home, and she's a month-to-month tenant (even if there's no lease and even if there's no rent being paid), you have a right to evict her from the property......Their marriage and divorce shouldn't really have anything to do with the ownership of your home and your right to evict a tenant.

Expert:  Roger replied 29 days ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!