RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I rented an apt. in Carbondale, Ill, for 7 months. I moved

Customer Question

I rented an apt. in Carbondale, Ill, for 7 months. I moved out before the 7 months was completed , but continued paying the rent. However, on the 7th month, the land lord re-rented the room , so I decided not to pay him for the last month of the lease. I do not believe it is ethical to collect rent for the same apt. from 2 different people. He did not ask me whether he can re rent the room, he just went ahead and do it. Am I wrong in my assumption?? thank you
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Illionis
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: He sent it to the collection agency and did not even inform me that he will be doing so
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: What are my legal rights here? thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

You are right. If you were paying rent, the landlord had no legal right to re-rent the room, without your permission. The landlord can not double dip and collect rent from both parties, since they do need to try and mitigate damages, when a tenant moves out, before the lease is up. Here, you still had a legal right to return if you were paying rent and there is no basis for him to demand you pay for the last month and to charge the new tenant. You should respond and dispute this, with the collection agency and advise them that the room was rented and a new tenant moved in, taking away your possession of the room.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!