Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

Should I have a real estate agent to help me sell my home?

Customer Question

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

There are things a real estate agent can help with, such as listing the home on websites you wouldn't be able to access, taking photographs to show the home in the best light, setting the price, staging, showing the property while you're at work, and negotiating once an offer is received. Most realtors also have contracts they provide for their clients, and they can help ensure there's language in there to protect you. The realtor can also negotiate repairs and any concessions once an agreement is reached, after the buyer has the property inspected (this is the buyer's right under most form retail contracts).

Most realtors are paid a commission, meaning that they get nothing unless the house sells. You just want to be careful before you reach an agreement to see what you're agreeing to. With an exclusive agreement, you have to pay the realtor even if you wind up finding a buyer yourself. That's something to keep in mind.

On the other hand, if you live in an area where houses are in high demand, it's possible you can find people to view the homes on your own, and you may not need as much help negotiating. If you don't have a realtor, then it's in your best interests to have a lawyer help you with the sale. A lawyer can review the contracts and help ensure that everything is in order, can work to protect your best interests, and can even do the closing for you so you don't have to take time off work.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Did you have any other questions about this?