Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

I have a real estate contract signed with a reality estate

Customer Question

I have a real estate contract signed with a reality estate agent and I thought we agreed on a 4 month deal ending in October. The contract the agent just sent me have the number of months at 5 months (instead of 4 months). We agreed to look for a renter during the 5 month. The date was scratched out without my initials to the change to 5 months. Is that change valid?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

No, it isn't. A change to a contract requires the consent of both parties. When something is scratched out and changed, then you both have to initial it. You're only bound by the original 4 month term.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Did you have any other questions about this?