Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I was diagnoses with congestive heart failure over the past

Customer Question

good morning
JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: i was diagnoses with congestive heart failure over the past month month and fell behind approimatly 1.5 months in rent i returned from the hospital on found a notice to vacate fro the sheriff's office,. i have the funds to pay the rent, is there anyway to stop the process?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: california
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: by the landloard, not on my part
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing i can think of other than i have the funds to become current with the rent
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and thank you for using jusatnswer.com. Give me a bit and I will draft you an answer.

If you pay what is owed plus fees (the landlord can charges you costs for filing the eviction as well), the landlord must accept it if they based the eviction on unpaid rent. So if you the landlord sued you for eviction based on nonpayment of rent, you have a right to "redeem" or save your right to stay in the property by paying you all of the money that you owe the landlord as of the day the payment is made. The Judge calls the amount of money you owe the "Trans-Lux" amount, which is a shorthand way of saying the amount of money the tenant owes you in order to bring the account current. So yes, you can bring the account current but you will have to pay past rent, late fees and court costs, the landlord then cannot move forward with the eviction.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 18 days ago.