Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

Can a individual tenant install hidden surveillance video

Customer Question

Can a individual tenant install hidden surveillance video cameras in 3 of the landlords own home bedrooms? This is a single family residential home. The 2 of us live under the same roof. She uses one bedroom to sleep in. I am in colodado
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: colorado
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No She put them in my house without my knowledge so when I look out my windows to see if I have any leaves in my gutters she will know from her smart phone.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can she have me for invasion of privacy. I did not know my house is bugged?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question. I may need to clarify facts first. I will answer & we can discuss issues.

Since the camera is shooting into the privacy of your house (your own bedrooms) and your activities on your own property, that is referred to as eavesdropping. Usually this is a neighbor that does it wherein law enforcement can obtain a search warrant for such cameras. If you fear that the removal of the cameras will cause violence to you, you may want to notify the police of the activity to make a report. You can also seek an injunction in civil court requiring the tenant to take out the camera. Further, it could be considered trespassing on your property. Also, if this is a month to month lease, or at the end of the lease, you can not renew it and give notice to the tenant to vacate the premises. We can discuss more if you would want to do so.

Hi Dan: I have not heard back from you. I am following up to see if you still need further help. If so, please let me know. If not, I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love you to give me a 5 star rating for the service I provided to you.. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus too! Best regards.