Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I live in a rent controlled apartment in Los Angeles. I also

Customer Question

I live in a rent controlled apartment in Los Angeles. I also rent a garage. The price for garage has gone up over 200% in five years. Is the garage also under rent control? I have yearly increases of 3% on apartment.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Yes. The garage is part of the apartment.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Based on your response, I have been over paying for the last 5 years for the garage rental. It started at $50 per month for the first year. Went to $75 for two years, went to $100 for two years and now just got bumped to $211 per month. Am I entitled to the money I over-payed? If so, how do I get my money back? $30 of the $211 is a fee for the use of the laundry room. I have made every payment on time. I have copies of the original rental agreements plus the most recent rate hike.

Thank you for the information.

Your follow-up questions:

Based on your response, I have been over paying for the last 5 years for the garage rental. It started at $50 per month for the first year. Went to $75 for two years, went to $100 for two years and now just got bumped to $211 per month. Am I entitled to the money I over-payed?

Response 1: Yes, you are.

If so, how do I get my money back? $30 of the $211 is a fee for the use of the laundry room. I have made every payment on time. I have copies of the original rental agreements plus the most recent rate hike.

Response 2: You can send a written request to the Landlord/property management for refund. Then, if your request is denied or ignored, you can file a Small Claim. If you cannot afford the Court fee, you can request for a fee waiver.