N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983
9653905

My friend's husband is in jail....not sure for how. She has

Customer Question

My friend's husband is in jail....not sure for how long. She has three kids and the house is only in her husband's name. Her lawyer told her that she wouldn't be able to get a quitclaim deed because she wasn't on the original mortgage. Does she have any recourse?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Connecticut
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I don't know for sure but this was all she told me
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer (“JA”)! I look forward to assisting you today.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, please consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; the information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) No specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship is formed herein. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

Please give me a moment to write a response and identify any additional resources for you. It may take a few minutes because I am typing an answer.

Hello. I asked for additional information from you yesterday. However, it appears that the request did not go through. I will opt out and another professional can help you if you still need help.

Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 4 months ago.

New Expert here.

The lawyer who said that is wrong, a person who owns property can sign a quit claim deed to anyone whether or not the grantee is named on the mortgage. And because the grantee is the spouse of owner, the lender has to let her assume the mortgage, see item 6 at

http://www.reiclub.com/articles/no-due-on-sale-jail

He can sign a joint tenancy deed or a tenants in common deed if he wants to remain on title.

I hope this information is helpful.