Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

If my rent is not paid in full on the first of every month

Customer Question

If my rent is not paid in full on the first of every month my landlord charges mme a hefty penalty despites the fact he knows I'm on disability and my social security direct goes into my account on the third of every month and the balance is always paid by then. Is this legal?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Late fees in a residential lease in California are illegal. A landlord may not charge a tenant a penalty for failure to pay the rent on time. Cal. Civ. Code, Section 1671. It's actually not that much of a gray area. The statute says that a late fee in a residential lease is void UNLESS two conditions are met. First, the late fee agreed to in the contract must be presumed to be the amount of damages the landlord would incur from a late payment. Second, the actual amount of damages the landlord would incur from a late payment must be extremely difficult to determine. That's where the landlord will lose, every single time. When a tenant pays the rent late, the landlord is damaged, at most, in the amount of interest he is paying on his mortgage for that month's rent payment. It is extremely easy to calculate the daily interest paid on a mortgage. In cases where there is no mortgage, than the landlord is at most damaged in the amount of interest he could have earned investing the money. That's also easy to calculate. Thus, the fees are illegal.

You could actually sue for a rebate of all late fees paid dating back the past 4 years (because 4 years is the statute of limitations in California). It would be illegal for your landlord to evict you because you sued them for violating California law. Cal. Civ. Code, Section 1942.5.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any other questions about this?