Law Tutor, Esq
Law Tutor, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  N/A
96078538

I had a pretty detailed question about joint tenants with

Customer Question

I had a pretty detailed question about joint tenants with the right of survivorship.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Ashburn, Virginia
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My boyfriend and I own a recently purchased townhome and he has become abusive, I filed domestic charges. Now I am wondering if I can get him removed from the home and title.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer (“JA”)! I look forward to assisting you today.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, please consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; the information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) No specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship is formed herein. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

Please give me a moment to write a response and identify any additional resources for you. It may take a few minutes because I am typing an answer.

You have indicated that you and your boyfriend own property as joint tenants with the right of survivorship in Virginia and you want to know how to get him removed from the home and title because he is abusive. If you are in danger and there is the threat of imminent harm by your boyfriend, you may want to go to the magistrate's office and take out a protective order against him under Virginia Code (§ 19.2-152.10). The magistrate may impose a temporary protective order removing him from the home and then you will have a hearing in the Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court to see if the judge will issue a permanent protective order, which will be good for up to 2 years. To have him removed from the deed, you may want to ask him to voluntarily sign a Quit Claim Deed to remove his name from the deed or you may petition the court to divide the property or order its sale. You will need to hire an experienced attorney who handles real estate matters in your area to proceed with the division of the property, as these matters can be very complex. Here is the link to the Virginia Lawyer Referral Service. They can put you in contact with an attorney in your area. I hope this helps.

Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

If you have no further questions, please do not forget to leave positive feedback (click on the 5 stars at the top of your page), as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required but is always appreciated.