Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Tenent is to be moved out by midnite Oct 31 2016, but has

Customer Question

tenent is to be moved out by midnite Oct 31 2016, but has not moved a fork. What are my options without going to court?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

In a situation like this, if the tenant remains, they would be holding over. The only way to legally get them out, would be through court proceedings at that time and obtain a court order, so they need to vacate and if they remain, then the Sheriff could remove them. Anything outside of a court action, would have to come through you negotiating with them, to leave. However, you should be aware that using self help, to get him out, is illegal. By that, I mean if you were to change the locks or throw his stuff on the street, he could come back and sue you, if he wanted to.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!