Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

Can A homeowner be subject to a 250% rate increase in

Customer Question

Can A homeowner be subject to a 250% rate increase in Homeowner insurance in NC, General Statue No. 58-36-30(b) I read this and it speaks about car insurance and not home owner insurance? Confused!
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in? What confuses you?
Customer: North Carolina
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No Just a Consent to Rate with the Insurance Company All State which is a 121.98% rate increase
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't feel I can trust the agents handling my policy. I also have Car Insurance as well as Homeowner Insurance, Alarm system in which I should be receiving some sort of discount. I feel they are giving me the run around. My premium went from $596 to 1,323.00. I find that troublesome. And I only received a 9% discount for Alarm and 20% for Auto. It sounds FISHY to me.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 2 months ago.

I agree. Unless you made a claim such a drastic increase seems fraudulent. One thing you need to evaluate is whether the coverage you have is comparable.