Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I had a month to month least with Marcia edge I paid month

Customer Question

My name is***** had a month to month least with Marcia edge I paid month on time until I went to Florida I gave the money other to my daughter to drop off my daughter thinks shed roped it putting the baby in the car so I asked my landlord since I paid 795 times 3 can I use one of them to pay the rent and she also inform me that she only took first month rent and the two other were security and the she out a note on my door typed fist notice than 2 notice saying I would be locked out on 11/03 I'm disable with a child where am I'm going to and before all this she gives me a letter going up on the rent 835 starting nov
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. A landlord can not sue self help and simply lock you out of the rental, if rent is late and past due. They first need to give you the proper notice to cure and if you fail to do so and pay, then proceed through the court and evict you. If she locks you out, you can sue her for damages and call the police and likely get the locks changed back, to allow you entry. The landlord does not have to use and apply security deposits for rent, if they do not want to, so the obligation to pay your rent does remain