Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

2007 - I was a ROW agent connecting wells with production

Customer Question

2007 - I was a ROW agent connecting wells with production lines. The first pipeline came from the “Copper Car” well traveled across a 3.446 acres tract of land (which was taken for taxes) then across the road to SW land and the “Coal Car” wells. SW was an attorney my mother was using as a Tax Attorney - so I had met him briefly before I was given this assignment. When I was given this assignment, I explained for us to connect the two wells I had to go across the 3.446 acres across the street from him and that it had been given up to the county for unpaid taxes and that I was going to acquire it. He said I want the land and I said the same thing. After a few minutes of discussion we both agreed to 50/50 split because I needed him (so this wouldn’t become a conflict of interest on my part with the company I was working for) and he needed me to get this property acquired since I had bought properties out of unpaid tax situations before and he had no knowledge of how to do it. I also had the knowledge and power of how to get title run, hire a private detective and get the General Land Office out to locate and set corner markers (part of this land is in a creek) so we could obtain a detailed survey whereby the property boundaries would be spelled out once and for all so the legal description was correct. I proceeded to have a private investigator locate the man who had given up the land for back taxes to Tarrant County. Once I had located the man who gave up this land for taxes (he was located in Houston) I gave that information to SW and he said he would have someone go by this man's house and get him to sign a Special Warranty Deed over to him and we would pay all the back taxes, filing & county fees, title insurance, etc. and divide those amounts equally – which is what we did. SW couldn’t get his guy to ever catch anyone at home so on 6/26/2007 I drove to Houston, waited for the man to get home, knocked on his door, talked to his wife, she invited me in to talk with her husband, I explained what my visit was about, presented the man with a Special Warranty Deed, he said he would take it to his lawyer the next day and would call SW. I thanked him for his time and while driving home I called SW and explained what had transpired. A couple of days later SW called and said the man had not called him and he had tried to reach the man in Houston and he would not return his call. I again contacted the man in Houston and reassured him it was okay to talk with SW and the man told me he would do just that. Within 24 hours of my call the man in Houston had solidified the deal with SW. After the SWD was finalized SW was instrumental in dealing with the MEDC (Mansfield Economic Development Corp.) and Conglomerate Gas II, LP and sectioning out the 3.446 acres the MEDC had inadvertently put in their acreage in an Oil, Gas and Mineral Lease on October 17, 2007. Once SW showed the MEDC the error in acreage they relinquished the 3.446 acres and SW was able to get the acreage included in the MEDC wells (3 in total) that Chesapeake drilled on their land. From the amount of ROW pipeline money (from Peregrine Pipeline Company) I paid SW to put a pipeline across this 3.44 acres tract of land and the O/G/M lease bonus money that was paid to SW we split the total amount 50/50. I have an itemized list and a copy of the check from SW of what we split equally that he gave me once everything was done. He also told me at the time we agreed to split everything 50/50 that he would make a Gift Deed over into my name only since he knew my husband and I were have marital problems – he said that wouldn’t be any big deal to do and I believed him. Once the deal was done SW said I don’t want to put your half into a Gift Deed because he felt like my husband could get it somehow if a divorce was looming. This didn’t feel right at the time but I trusted SW since he had split 50/50 with me and had held up his end of the verbal agreement so far. Since 2007 I have asked SW
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: this is not an estate. This is about a verbal contract and me wanting to file a lis pendens on the property stated
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I have carefully reviewed your post. However, I did not see a specific question. What is your specific question?

Thank you for your cooperation,