Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

Probated property in2013. I buy then, .Now illegitimate heir

Customer Question

probated property in2013. I buy then, .Now illegitimate heir demanding 50 PERCENT Oct 28. I was not told of hearing f of .Was probate final? should I pay i.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Probate was final and once you purchased the property in good faith and once probate was closed, any claims for payment from a illegitimate alleged heir is against the other heirs who probated the property. Once probate is closed generally the FL law is there was 3 months from the date notice of the probate is published for any creditor with a claim on the estate to file a claim, so it is likely this claim would be barred by the statute of limitations. If the heirs who sold the property committed some type of fraud, this would be on the heirs if they committed such fraud. If the property was sold off and the heirs did not know of this illegitimate heir (and if the court for some reason does not conclude the claim is barred by the statute of limitations) then the heirs could be forced to pay the heir their share of proceeds from the sale.
Either way, in FL under the Rules of Probate, you must engage a local attorney to represent you if this is an estate dispute.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you so much. Have not slept all weekend. Suddenly i can breath
Thank you for your reply.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.