Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

My aunt is suing me for a 30 year old sewing machine that I

Customer Question

my aunt is suing me for a 30 year old sewing machine that I don't have (my sister does). what do I do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Has she actually filed a lawsuit or is she just threatening to do so?

.

What proof does she have where she is claiming that you have it?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
she is just threatening right now. she lives in nc, I live in va. I told her my sister has the machine. she has no proof where machine is

Ok, then you probably don't have much to worry about. She would have to come to VA to file a small claims suit in order to get personal jurisdiction over you to force you to come to court and defend. And since you simply don't have it, but have directed her to who does, I don't see any judge ruling in her favor if she actually took the effort to come to VA to file a suit.

.

So she is likely just blowing off steam and won't do anything other than contact sister to see if she has it..

.

.

thanks