Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney
Experience:  Knowledgable and Experienced Attorney
16911602

I have been renting my condo apt for 5 years, and my

Customer Question

hello, i have been renting my condo apt for 5 years, and my landlord is asking me to get Re-approved by the board to stay on. Is this allowed? I was already approved when i moved in 5 years ago.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?
Customer: New York
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: no, i have only received an email from my landlord, telling me I have to, as we in renewing lease conversations
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that should be it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist.

If your lease is expiring and you are in negotiations for renewal, unfortunately, the owner has the right to require that you submit for approval again. The owner may be doing this because it is required in the rules and regulations of the property, or for any other reason, but I would guess it's some requirement of the association that the owner has no control over either. If there is some concern, discuss it with the owner, because it sounds like the owner would love to rent to you into the foreseeable future. He or she may be able to help smooth the way through any potential issues. If you do not have a history of unresolved violations, the process should be relatively seamless.

I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know and I'll continue to provide assistance. If I have addressed your issue and/or pointed you in a positive direction, please let me know that, as well. Also, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted, as that is the only way attorneys on this site are credited for the help we provide.

Good luck!

Best,

Attorney 1