Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I own a house in florida. I am there a few months a year.

Customer Question

I own a house in florida. I am there a few months a year. The rest of the time it is empty ( never rented ). My neighbor ( and his wife and kids ) constantly walk up my steep driveway and across the side yard to access their house. They seem to be the litigious type. I am worried they will fall and sue me. Should I be worried, any suggestion?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. Thank you for your patience as I prepare your answer.

Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.

As a general rule, you owe no duty of care to trespassers. So, as long as they do not have your permission to cross your property, you almost have to do something intentional (like set traps) to be liable to them for injuries they sustain on your property if they have no permission to be there.

You should send them a cease and desist letter demanding they not access your property without your express permission to clarify that they are trespassers and document that fact.

Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!