California Lawyer
California Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice law in California
19551178

Can i be sued for not giving a 30 day notice or be required

Customer Question

can i be sued for not giving a 30 day notice or be required to pay rent for a month in the month i did not live. i gave a notice effective for 09/30/2016 and did not live on the premises after 09/30 /16
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  California Lawyer replied 1 month ago.

I will try and help. Much of this would depend on the terms of your lease, but in general your landlord is required to notice if you intend to leave. That gives them the opportunity to find a new renter and not lose a month of rent (or more). Can you be sued? Yes. Will they? Not something we can determine here. You did not indicate what state your are located in, so I cannot determine if specific laws cover this situation.

I hope this helps.

DCG

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I live in Ohio and have not been in a lease since 2008. it was a sudden move on 09/22/16 my house loan came through and left at the end of the month, now they sent me a letter saying they want october rent when i never resided there. why would i pay rent for something i didnt live in

Again, often a lease, if not renewed, converts by its terms to a month to month tenancy on the terms of the lease. Most leases and in this case Ohio Rev. Code Ann. § 5321.17 requires a 30 days notice on a 30 day month to month tenancy. So yes, they can bill you for October since you failed to give the required notice.

I hope this helps.

DCG